Safety Tips for Buying Tickets Online
DoneDeal Trust and Safety Officer Finbarr tells us how to keep safe when buying tickets online.
There are a number of major sporting and music events coming up this winter in Ireland and there will be a huge demand for tickets from the general public.
While most of our users have a pleasant experience when buying tickets on DoneDeal, we recommend that you don’t rush into any deal without first preparing yourself with our top tips for buying tickets:
- Exercise caution – for all major events, thousands of counterfeit tickets flood the markets
- Beware that e-tickets can be reprinted numerous times
- Be extra vigilant if prompted to lodge money into a bank account or to pay online on the promise the tickets will be posted to you
- If using PayPal, NEVER pay as “Friends and Family” as that type of payment is not disputable if anything goes wrong
- Meet the seller in person and examine tickets carefully
- Individual sellers are not licensed or bonded, so you have no comeback if sold a fake
- Always ask if the ticket was originally purchased from an official agent
- Check with Ticketmaster or the official distributor of the tickets to verify their authenticity
How to identify forged tickets:
- Examine the ticket in detail
- Read the information on the ticket carefully, look for misspellings, wrong dates, wrong telephone numbers.
- Compare a genuine Ticketmaster ticket, for example, issued in the last six months with the one you are thinking of buying.
- Does it contain similar information such as seat information, section, restrictions?
- Compare font size and logos.
- The genuine ticket will be of good quality paper and the print won’t smudge. Scrape your finger on the ticket to test the quality of the ink.